Winter Greens, Carrot & Tofu Egg Rolls

www.pescetarianjournal.com

I love my greens. Collards, kale, turnips, dandelion–you name it–and I’m constantly looking for ways for greens to star in other dishes without losing their inherent soulfulness. Here, I filled egg roll wraps with kale and collards along with carrots and tofu. I fried them (frying is something that I rarely do) and served them with a sweet-chili Thai sauce. The sinful pleasure of the crispy, fried crust, followed by lush, seasoned greens along with carrots and tofu equals one devine vegan egg roll.

Recipe: Winter Greens, Carrot & Tofu Egg Rolls (Serves 6–3 egg rolls apiece)
Ingredients
(Organic Vegetables Used)

1/2 medium leek (white part only), minced
2 green onion (white and green parts), minced
2 tablespoons canola or grape seed oil (for sauteing)
1/4 pound kale, chopped finely
1/4 pound collards, chopped finely
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
5 ounces carrots, shredded (I bought pre-shredded carrots)
4 ounces extra firm tofu, diced in 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice seasoning
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
Salt to taste (if desired)
1 16-ounce package egg roll wraps (from the supermarket’s refrigerated section)
3/4 cup canola or grape seed oil (for frying)

Directions:

1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a 9-quart stockpot (minimum size) on medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute them until translucent.
  2. Add kale and collards and saute until the greens wilt.
  3. Pour in vegetable broth and cover pan; simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Add carrots and diced tofu.
  5. Stir in Chinese 5-spice seasoning, rice vinegar, soy sauce. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Taste vegetables and add additional salt if desired.
  6. Remove from heat and allow vegetables and tofu to cool until they can be handled.
  7. Use large cutting board or clean countertop to spread several egg roll wraps. Each wrap should be placed in a diamond shape before rolling (see photos above).
  8. Spoon 2 tablespoons of vegetables and tofu in the middle of the egg roll wrap.
  9. Fold over the end of the wrap that points toward you. Ensure that the ingredients are snugly folded in the egg wrap.
  10. Fold over each end neatly and roll the egg roll forward toward the remaining flap. If necessary, wet your fingers with some of the vegetable broth to make sure the remaining flap sticks.
  11. Heat the oil over high heat and fry egg rolls two at a time until they are brown and crispy. Drain egg rolls on paper towels before serving.

Comments

1. says

Oh my heart be still … these look FABULOUS!!! And the Chinese 5-spice seasoning would give them such a great flavor. Here’s a tip for the tofu … if you cube it, freeze it, thaw it and then use it, it’ll give the tofu a very “meaty” texture. I’ve also found egg-free egg roll wraps so this dish can easily be veganized. Thank you so much!

• says

Thanks! You know, I didn’t think to look for egg-free egg roll wraps. I’m sure that the organic market that I patronize has them. That tip you mentioned, I’ve done it before to make “To-Fish.” It is quite a difference regarding the texture.

Alaiyo

2. says

I’m not usually a proponent of anything fried (however much I may like the final product) but these Really perk my interest. I think I know what I’ll be doing with my thanksgiving’s leftover greens!

3. says

Hi Ben,

I agree about the frying, but for some foods I make an exception. It also mean that I don’t make and eat those fried foods often. I’m going to try making these in the oven next time and see how well they turn out. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting.

Alaiyo

4. says

Wow! Those look delicious! I have to browse around your site now, I used to be subscribed but I think something might have gone wonky– I haven’t seen your recipes for months! There’s a lot to catch up on ;)

Your website looks really cool, BTW, and your photos are great!

5. says

You’d think that with Thanksgiving on the horizon our heads would be filled with the anticipation of one of the great meals of the year. And they are. Or were, until feasting our eyes on these little gems. Suddenly Chinese sounds like a great idea. Winter green are – as any greens are – a perennial favorite in this house and your egg-rolls look beyond delicious! Beautifully photographed,too! We wish you and yours a warm and happy Thanksgiving!

• says

Hi Mimi!

Thanks for your comment and visit. You an absolutely substitute shrimp or just use the greens and carrots. I’ve tried both options with delicious results.

Alaiyo