Creamy Scalloped Corn #SundaySupper #BeingThankful

Creamy Scalloped Corn--Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Sunday Supper focus is about being thankful. I have contributed blog posts and recipes, like this one, to Sunday Supper events for more than a year, and I have attended the Food and Wine Conference. (I’m looking forward to the conference again in 2014.) I’m thankful for my involvement in the Sunday Supper Movement and with its bloggers. I’m thankful to Isabel Laessig, founder of the Sunday Supper Movement and the Food and Wine Conference, for bringing together creative, hard-working bloggers for a worthwhile purpose. Blogging has widened my circle of friends far beyond my geographical area and has provided travel and income opportunities, for which I am thankful. What I’m most thankful for in 2013, besides a loving and supportive husband and family and a career that I enjoy (teaching), is my son’s employment. My son Omari, who is challenged with Autism, has had a job since July, 2013, and he’s improving every day as an employee.
According to the Autism Society, “only 21% of all adults with disabilities participated in the labor force” in 2010. The statistics for adults with autism are even more dismal. Our son’s job is part of a supported employment program, but it’s still a job. He has a job coach who helps him work to capacity, but he’s working. One day, we’re hoping that he won’t need the job coach.
Omari goes to work everyday, assembling and packaging products for shipment (perhaps to you). I’m thankful that the amazing teachers at The Ivymount School  taught Omari how to efficiently and quickly arrange, assemble, and package items, which helped him become a valuable employee. We’re thankful to the women and men who came to our home for years to work one-on-one with Omari and teach him additional skills after school. For the doctor who worked with us to find the right combination of medications that would allow Omari to focus and maintain attention long enough to learn and become employable, we are thankful. For my husband, who found Omari’s place of employment and who was determined that Omari would have his best outcome, I am most thankful.
Omari’s new favorite side dish is Creamy Scalloped Corn (the recipe follows). My son is a natural foodie, eating fresh salads, vegetables such as okra and brussel sprouts, and other seriously healthy foods. He will eat anything (and everything) set before him. This year, the Creamy Scalloped Corn side dish will be on the Thanksgiving and Kwanzaa table. We’re thankful that he’s an adventurous eater, and we’re most thankful that he goes about his workday, most days, with a smile.
Recipe: Creamy Scalloped Corn (Serves 4-5)
Ingredients
2 cups ounces unsalted, creamed-style corn
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
2 tablespoons green pepper, minced
1 tablespoon red onion, minced
1/4 cup soy milk (or low-fat milk)
1 teaspoon safflower oil
2 tablespoons finely milled corn flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Directions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour creamed corn into a mixing bowl along with the egg substitute, peppers, onions, and soy milk (substitute regular low-fat milk for soy milk).
  2. Add oil, corn flour and salt and stir to mix ingredients.
  3. Pour ingredients into lightly oiled, medium-sized baking dish or into individually sized baking dishes. Pour one-inch of water into a larger, oven-proof pan. Set the baking dish/dishes inside the larger pan and place into the oven.
  4. Bake corn for 1 hour and serve immediately when done.
Read more stories about being thankful and view dozens of recipes for holiday-appropriate fare. Click on the links below. Thanks Paula Montenegro of Vintage Kitchen Notes for hosting #SundaySupper this week.

FIRST COURSE / APPETIZERS

SAVORY BREADS + STUFFING

MAIN DISHES

SIDE DISHES

DESSERTS + SWEET BREADS

All American Wine Pairing Guide for Being Thankful #SundaySupper from Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.
Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Comments

1. says

I am sure a lot of hard work and time and effort went into getting Omari where he is today but it’s got to be worth it when you see that smile! You have raised a fine young man! Thank you so much for sharing his success story and his favorite corn dish with us. Looks yummy!

2. says

Your son is such a blessed young man to have such an incredible support network. That photo of him smiling just makes me wish I knew him. I am sure the road was long and hard but I am so glad you are seeing the fruits of the hard work to get him to where he is today. This dish sounds incredible too.

3. says

Your son sounds like an amazing man. I’m glad he’s found a job that fulfills him and that he’s enjoying! Your creamy scalloped corn also sounds amazing. What a great side dish for the Thanksgiving table.
    Happy turkey day to you and yours!
    Renee – Kudos Kitchen

4. says

Thank you so much for sharing this story about your son. I was excited to see your blog because my daughter is a pescetarian, she eats the same as a vegetarian but with seafood and fish added to her diet. She has chosen this diet herself, and I work hard to make sure her dietary wishes are met. I became even more interested when I saw that your post included gratitude about the help your son recieves and has received. I too am grateful for people who provide this kind of help, as my little brother (34 years old now) has autism too. There are so many people in his life who, sacrifice for his benefit. Often they are just doing their jobs, but I know that just doing those jobs is a sacrifice for many of them. So many go so far above and beyond the minimum of their job requirements. They do it because they love my brother, and are dedicated to his well being. So, when you share about your son having employment, it touches my heart. My brother is also an excellent eater, one of his favorites is New Mexico Stacked Enchiladas, he’ll eat them faster than you can put them in front of him.! HUGS and Happy TGD!

5. says

What a touching tribute to your son, Alaiyo. I can tell just how proud you are of him, as you should. His job sounds perfect for him. And this dish? Ummm, yum! I wish this would magically show up on my Thanksgiving table!

6. says

You look too young to be the mom of an adult son! How lucky is your son to have such a loving mother? The fact that he has a job speaks volumes about your parenting. (My niece is a PsyD and much of her research was about autism.)

Thank you for sharing your story and this yummy corn recipe, Alaiyo.

7. says

Congratulations on Omari’s job :)

I love the sound and look of your creamy scalloped corn and am not surprised that this would be a favorite. Yum! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family ~ Bea

8. says

I’m so glad that Omari has a job! As the mom of a daughter with a disability, I know that it can be challenging to find the right fit. And I can see why this scalloped corn is one of his favorites :)

9. says

So nice to see Omari has been able to have a job. There are so many with autism that are not that fortunate.
    I’m thankful to have met you through blogging and to be able to meet you IRL thanks to Sunday Supper and the conference. Here’s to an even better year and yet more things to be thankful for next year.

10. says

What a great post Alaiyo! Your son Omari is lucky to have you! Thank you for the wonder Scalloped Corn, sounds like my great grandmothers, will try this for my father he is on Kidney Dialysis, and this sound perfect.

11. says

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments. We are very proud of Omari and what he’s had to overcome. He’s a happy young man, and he’s supportive of my blogging (he doesn’t touch the food until the pictures are taken). Happy Holidays!

Alaiyo