I’m a confirmed fan of OXO’s cool kitchen tools. So, I was thrilled to receive a collection of its Good Grips kitchen essentials and honored to be invited to enter its Very Vegetarian Challenge. This cooking challenged, launched along with Plated.com, a company which ships fresh gourmet-meal ingredients directly to home cooks, puts a spotlight on vegetarian recipes and seasonal ingredients. My contribution to this challenge is my recipe for Personal Vegetarian Pot Pie. It’s quite an easy pot pie recipe to make, especially on a weeknight.
For this “Very Vegetarian” cooking challenge, participating bloggers were encouraged to create a vegetarian meal in 30 minutes “from start to finish.” Plated, which makes it possible for cooks to make meals in 30 minutes with its home-delivered ingredients, will feature winning bloggers’ recipes on its site. To help with this challenge, OXO sent me and other participating bloggers the following tools:
Now, more about my pie. I had the grand idea to make individually portioned vegetable pot pies, and I was determined to answer the challenge by making the pies in 30 minutes. It took several tries and ingredient adjustments (i.e. from frozen peas to canned peas and from roughly chopped to finely diced potatoes) but I finally came up with a Personal Vegetarian Pot Pie recipe that could be ready in 30 minutes. Of the six tools I received from OXO, here are the tools used in the recipe:
OXO’s Hand-Held Mandolin Slicer, which was a dream to use as I sliced the potatoes and carrots for the recipe. I just know that this tool will be one of my go-to tools from now on.
One of the scoops from the 2-Piece Fruit Scoop Set, which I used to mix the pie ingredients together. Because it’s wide and only slightly concave, it was easier to use than a tablespoon for evenly distributing the vegetables throughout the mushroom soup.
OXO’s very cute and very useful Corn Peeler made removing corn kernels from the cob as easy as unzipping a garment.
I loved using these tools from OXO, and there’s an up-and-coming new cook in my family (my proudly professed, non-dinner-cooking husband) who will soon be using ingredients from Plated to cook a gourmet meal for us. Wish me luck in the “Very Vegetarian Challenge.”
Recipe: Personal Vegetarian Pot Pie #VeryVegetarian (Serves 2-4)
1 large white potato, peeled, sliced thinly with OXO Hand-held Mandolin Slicer, then diced
1 large carrot, sliced thinly with OXO Hand-held Mandolin Slicer, then diced
1 can black-eye peas, drained and rinsed
1 ear fresh corn kernels, removed with OXO Good Grips Corn Peeler
1 14.5-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup cream of broccoli soup
1 1/2 tablespoons salt-free, all-purpose herb seasoning
Cracked white pepper
1 package ready-to-roll pie crust
1 egg, beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, place diced potatoes, diced carrots, peas, and corn kernels in a large bowl.
- Add cream of mushroom soup and broccoli soup to bowl. Stir to distribute vegetables throughout liquid ingredients. Add herb seasoning and cracked pepper (to taste) to ingredients and stir.
- Unroll one pie crust onto a clean, dry cutting board. Invert a ramekin and press down into the dough to produce a top crust for each pot pie. Set dough aside.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into ramekins and top each with a round piece of dough. With a small, sharp knife, cut two slits into the uncooked crust. Dip a baking brush into the beaten egg and lightly brush egg onto each uncooked crust.
- Place ramekins on a cookie sheet and place into oven for 15 minutes until crust is golden brown. Serve immediately.